1. Log in to the administration pages
Start by going to http://dharmaseed.org/admin, where you will see the following page. Log in with the username and password you were given.
2. Indicate that you wish to add a talk
Once you are logged in you will see a screen like this. Start by clicking on Talks - Add (in red, below):
3. Fill out the Add Talk form
After you click 'Add', you will see a page like this. It's important that when you fill in the fields Date, Teacher, Venue and Retreat
that you do so in that order. This form is 'active' in the sense that
some pulldown menus are adjusted during input so that the Venues and
Retreats appropriate to a particular Date and Teacher are moved to the
top of the list and made easy to find.
We'll go through the fields one by one:
(The fields in Bold Text are required and must be filled in before saving the talk.)
- Save: Click this when all your data has been added to the form (the Save button also appears at the very bottom of the page).
- Date Recorded: These two fields
should be filled in with the date and local time-of-day (to the best of
your knowledge) when the recording was made. There are two small buttons
'Today' and 'Now' that will fill in the date with today's date and the
time with the current wall clock time -- these are intended as
shortcuts, but you needn't use them.
- Teacher: The teacher is selected from
a pulldown list of all the teachers currently in the system. The
monastics are listed first, followed by the lay teachers. If you don't
see your teacher there you may add a teacher by clicking on the green +
sign. After the teacher is selected, you may notice that the Venue and
Retreat are also automatically set. We'll cover this in a moment.
- Title: This field holds the title for
the talk. The title should contain only the talk's real title -- please
omit information such as the venue and date, that will be recorded
- Venue: This is the center under whose
auspices the recording was made. The system finds the venues where the
teacher has previously given talks and shows them first in the list.
Even though the system may initially fill the field for you, please
double check that it is correct. If your center holds sittings and talks
in various locations, please use the name of your center here. If your
center is not in the system, you may add it by clicking on the green +
sign. If you don't know where the talk was recorded, you may select
- Retreat: This field is used both for talks given at multi-day retreats as well as for talks that are given regularly each week, e.g. Spirit Rock Monday and Wednesday Talks.
The form allows you to select from those retreats in the system that
correspond to the previously entered recording date and venue. If you do
not see the retreat you are looking for, one may be added by clicking
on the green + sign -- but before doing so, please make sure that the
recording date and venue are correct.
- Publishability: This is initially set to Publicly Available, but if the teacher has requested that it be made available only to retreatants, change the selection accordingly.
- Description: This field holds a
teacher-given description of the talk. It is not intended for notes or
commentary by participants. If you have no description or anticipate
providing one later, simply leave it blank.
- Recording Type: This is initially set to Dharma Talk but may be changed to indicate these other recording types: Guided meditation, Chanting, Jataka Tale, or Other.
- Language: Here the talk's language can be indicated. Current possibilities include Spanish and Thai w/English translation. Please contact Dharmaseed if you would like a new language to be added to the list.
- MP3 file to upload: This field is used to select the MP3 file containing the recording. You do this by clicking on the Browse
button and then using the navigation window that appears to locate the
recording on your computer. Regarding the recording parameters, we
prefer monaural (not stereo) recordings made at 44.1khz with 16bit
samples and then encoded into monaural MP3 files compressed to 64kbps or
96kbps (kilo-bits per second). Certain equipment may not be capable of
this (e.g. some portable MP3 recorders only record in stereo), and so we
accept other formats as well. Please contact Dharmaseed if you have an
unusual recording format to upload. Note that we only accept MP3 files
-- WMA, WAV, FLAC, etc. can not be handled currently.
4. Click Save to begin uploading
- Save: Click the Save button when you
have completed the form. The talk will be uploaded in about ten minutes,
depending upon your Internet connection speed. If you are using the Internet Explorer or Firefox web browser, you will see an upload progress bar like this indicating how long the upload will take to complete.
Thank you for participating in the administration of Dharmaseed.
We deeply appreciate your help.